Thursday, June 19, 2008

Hey TURBO...why don't you slow down before you hurt yourself??

Not a good running day.

First, I missed my alarm. I still haven't figured out why. Here is a picture of what my cell phone said when I woke up and checked the darn thing to figure out why it didn't go off.

Actually, this is a picture taken this afternoon. But it looks the exact same as this morning.

Looks right to me. Melissa was picking me up at 4:30 and the wake-up time gives me just enough time to wake, nurse Lora, get her changed, settled back down, get my running clothes on and grab a bite. And that is one jammed pack half hour. So I was late. And I didn't get anything to eat.

We stopped by a cirlce K on the way out to grab a granola. I went in; spent 4 minutes and came back out with 2 granolas I could not eat. Just as I was opening the package, I read the label which said that it contains peanut ingredients. Back in I went. The cashier looked at me like I was crazy when I put my next two granola's on the counter.

We didn't hit the desert trail until after 5, which means we were going to be hard pressed to finish our 12 miles in time. We modified our course to 9. Near mile 7 1/2 or 8 I was feeling really good, although a little cold (apparently I need to hydrate better the day before). I wanted to pick up the pace a little and cruise to the car. Melissa wanted to stick to our current pace and so we decided to meet up ahead a ways. When we met back up, I was not nearly as happy as when we had parted.

First, I added another near mile to my run when I took a wrong turn and ended up at a dead end. That wasn't so bad, I just decided to pick up the pace so I could catch Melissa. I got to the point where I could see her ahead, and had my eyes on her when I ate it. Hard. Rule number one of trail running: EYES on the TRAIL!! Here are a few of the pics:



I'll spare you the pics of my bruised and battered hip. My legs and hands weren't as bad as the elbow. But what really got me was that I thought I really hurt my right knee. I can see now that the pain I was feeling is just a bruise. It is a little swollen but I think with 3 or 4 days rest, it will be good as new.

I guess that will teach me. A desire for a big finish, and I just cost myself several training days. Ones that I really can't spare. Hopefully, it will be my one injury of the season. Good to get it over with early I guess.

8 comments:

Kris-10 said...

Ouch! It looks just as bad in person. Sorry you had to biff it, and I'm glad you didn't screw up your knee more.

Amy said...

Okay, I'm just catching up on the past three posts. That elevation map stunned me - wow! But I can sense your excitement in planning it & pushing through. I am loving reading about your journey!

Kristen said...

Hope you're feeling better! I can't believe you're waking up so early! That's the middle of the night in my book :) You go girl!

Lori said...

Well now I'm going to have to make you two mini 1st aid kits to keep in your cars . . . ouch!! The bruise is going to hurt for a long time . . . hope it doesn't slow you down.

Kristal said...

I found your blog on a friend of a friend's blog. An ultramarathon is such a cool goal. I've only done a marathon, but while training I came across this book. It's a great read and is about a man who decides to run the Badwater ultramarathon. It's called, "To the Edge: A Man, Death Valley, and the Mystery of Endurance" by Kirk Johnson. It's really inspiring and made me want to run one too someday.

Good luck with your training!

April said...

At first I thought something ate you! Like a javelina or a coyote or something. Yeow!

I think you are amazing, you know!

Brooke and Brett Martin said...

Alright I am a few steps behind your running journey- THIS IS SOOOO AWESOME YOU ARE DOING THIS. I LOVE IT. Can't believe your biff still. And I can't believe you saw javulena's out in the desert. Okay seriously I'm freaking out over that. You are so good with words. Today was great. I was 1/2 cooherant b/c i was so tired. Thanks for having Brody- seriously all he talked about tonight at bedtime was the cool motorcycles he got to play with Hyrum. What a treat for Brody! And Sabrina was an angel. Let's do it again soon.

Jenn said...

OUCH!!! I am impressed beyond belief! When I run a race, I look at the elevation map & make sure that a majority of it is a slow, gradual downhill. And the early morning wake up.....you rock!!!