Thursday, June 19, 2008

RECAP

I was going to be very detailed and sequential about this blog. My next two posts were going to still be about my "plan": training, nutrition, etc. But then I came to the realization that:

1. It's boring.

2. I am a slow blogger, which means I am 3 weeks into training and haven't posted once about how it is actually going.

SOO if anyone has actual questions about either of those subjects (not that I am in anyway an expert), then I'll email you. Otherwise, let's get this party started!

The first couple of weeks have been going pretty well. I think that the hardest part has definitely been my midweek runs. I usually do those on the treadmill (although Melissa and I are going to start and meet two days during the week to try to shake it up a bit). I am not a fan of treadmills. Mostly because the amount of time staring at a blank wall. But at the same time, it makes it easy to work around Kent's basketball schedule, and I can pretty much do it anytime during the day which means the possibility of more sleep. I really have the most success in the morning though, especially if I can get it done before breakfast time. Otherwise, the last two miles are spent with little kids coming into the room about every 20 seconds asking for food.

The weekly runs usually are about 5-6 miles and are mostly just maintenance. I have been throwing in some aqua running about 1 day a week and also taking 2 days rest, usually on Friday and Sunday. The aqua running is great because it shakes things up and also I can play with the kids in the pool while I am doing it. You do look a little stupid, but then again I looked pretty stupid today on our run (that story's coming) so I guess I'll take it. I had my nephew Caleb snap some pictures last week while I was doing it, but they are on my Mom's camera and you know how that goes. Maybe I'll post them when I get them off. And then again...maybe I won't.

Our first Saturday run was just on canals and was over 9 miles. It felt great, although about mile 5 or 6 I was really wishing I would have had a granola bar before walking out the door. If not that, then at least brought one for the "road." Overall, I thought it was a good start, and we were done before 7 am which is always nice.

The next Saturday we hit a mountain biking trail that was 6 miles. It is a great place for terrain running and has some pretty good hills. I had an absolute blast!!

I don't usually use that word to describe my running...I love it and it is fulfilling but not necessarily fun. Last Saturday it was just so FUN!
The desert was beautiful.

We even saw 2 or 3 Javelina's...and luckily no rattlesnakes.

The best part was the second half of the run. I was in a zone and running up and down those hills was just exhilarating. I haven't done trail running for at least 6 years and I have forgotten how much I love it. I spent the next couple of days trying to figure out when we could get back out there.


Here we are near the end of the run trying to get a self portrait. Go DESERT DUO!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really thought they were wild boar!! So maybe we should be called The Boar Buddies!! Just kidding! I like that name...seeing as we're the only applicants from AZ!

Christine said...

So glad that you had fun! The desert does look beautiful:)

Kris-10 said...

You two look great!!! Love the Poston T-shirt

Lori said...

Desert Dynamite Duos!!! You'll be running if one of those male javelinas finds you attractive - they can run pretty fast. Glad you are both going together.