Sunday, June 29, 2008

Saturday

We met at the trail head around 4:45 am. It was still too dark to really hit the trail and be safe. So we stretched and waited around for about 10 minutes until we were assured that we would be able to see well enough for proper foot work and that all nocturnal animals were back sleeping. The main trail is 7 miles round trip. Our plan was to do that twice and get a total of 14 in for the day. We stashed water and some food at the trail head so we could refill our water bottles and get some energy in before we headed back out for the second half. I carry two 20 oz hand held water bottles. I think this is my preferred method of hydration. I think the camelback would drive me crazy bouncing up and down on my back. And I don't care for the hip holsters because your arms brush them as you run. Plus the hand held makes for easy access. I probably could get away with one because the aid stations are going to be every 5 miles, but I feel much more balanced with one in each hand. I was worried about how they would effect me when I got really tired, but even within these few weeks I am use to running with them and my muscles have adapted so I don't even really notice them anymore.

We reached about mile 3 or 4 pretty uneventfully. No chills which was a definite plus. And again the desert was beautiful. You get up on some of those rises and you can see for miles. In the one direction you look over the city, and in the other, the desert stretches as far as you can see. The sun is coming up and the beauty, in combination with those running endorphins, makes me feel complete joy. I feel absolutely ALIVE and blessed beyond measure. In those moments, I feel like I could run forever.

Unfortunately, about that point Melissa wasn't feeling quite the same thing. Her head was spinning and she was felt a sharp stabbing pain in her abdomen. We tried making some adjustments in the pace and with walk breaks, but nothing seemed to help. In fact it seemed to get worse. When we hit the trail head at mile 7, we grabbed more water and something to eat. Melissa said she wanted to keep going, despite the pain so we headed back out. About a half mile out, we both decided this probably wasn't the best idea. She decided to head back to the cars and I was going to try to finish.

I was worried about the time though. It was getting a lot later in the morning then I wanted to be at the point in my run because of the delayed start and pace adjustment. I picked up the pace a bit and settled in. At some point I hit a trail sign that had crossroads that I knew I wasn't suppose to be on. I had taken a wrong turn AGAIN. This really isn't that big of deal since all the trails will eventually lead you out. It's not like you really risk getting lost. But it is inconvenient. I decided I would rather just turn around and get back on the trail I was familiar with. I got back to the crossroads where I took the wrong turn and couldn't figure out why it had happened. It was clearly marked with a trail sign. I think I just get in a zone and am paying attention to different things I guess. Like:

1. My form
2. My water intake
3. About being aware of the mountain bikers and so there is not a mishap
4. My pace
5. Keeping my heart rate low enough and not getting into oxygen debt
6. Watching the ground so I don't have another intimate encounter with it...

And before you know it I am off on the wrong trail.

So, once back on the right trail I kept heading out but turned back before I hit the trail end. The way back I pretty much put it on cruise control and was feeling good except for the last mile when my knee started to bother me, and made me grateful that I was nearing the end. I don't know exactly how many miles I did because of the course change, but from what I could tell from the map and from my finishing time I think it was pretty close to 13. Not as far as what I had planned, but still it felt good to finish a half marathon.

I got back to the car to find that Melissa had stuck around and waited for me. I had agreed to call her as soon as I got to my car and let her know that I had finished okay. But she had waited around just to be sure, bless her. It made me feel a bit guilty that I didn't turn around with her, and end at mile 8. It's just such a hard decision to make though because we only have 3 months to get ready and every Saturday counts. We need to figure out a better system for moments like this.

All in all though, I felt like it was a good run for me. And the only blood involved was from a couple of blisters...a great improvement from the last trail outing.

No comments: