Sunday, June 29, 2008

Wednesday

It is HOT!

That is most definitely what I was thinking on Wednesday morning around 8. It was my first day back actually running (I had done a little aqua running) since "the incident." Everything healed up pretty nicely, although I thought for a day or two that my elbow might be getting an infection. But with a little attention, everything was back on track and healing nicely.

So Wednesday morning it was time for me to get moving. My problem was that I really didn't want to get on the treadmill, and Kent plays basketball at 5 MWF. So Melissa and I made plans to meet at the trail head a little after 7 and put in about 6 miles. We figured we'd be done somewhere between 8 and 8:30 and that shouldn't be to bad, right? WRONG!!

Melissa ended up calling a half hour before we were to meet saying she was feeling pretty sick. I decided I would just hit the canals on my own instead. But I didn't actually end up leaving my house until 7:30. In the first 1/4 mile, I dropped my water bottle and it cracked wide open, pouring it's precious content all over the ground. I figured, it's just 6 miles, no big deal. Around mile 2 or 3 I was already getting chills...a sure sign of dehyration, (Apparently, I am a slow learning and am not drinking enough water throughout my days) and was wondering just what was I thinking about not turning around for a new one. The rest of the run I was feeling pretty miserable, and wondering just what exactly I was doing out here. The treadmill was sounding more appealing by the minute. For safety reasons, I had my cell phone with me... A detriment to be sure, as I had more than a few thoughts about calling Kent to just come get me.

But I endured, and came home to an air conditioned house (yeah!!) and a big glass of water. One of the first things I did when I got home, was jump on to weather.com and check exactly how hot it was. It said 92 degrees. While not exactly cool, it defintely wasn't as hot as it is going to be on some of the mornings when we finish our 20+ mile long runs. I began to worry a little. Noble Canyon only allows 175 runners. 60 have already registered. We are the only ones so far from AZ. I began thinking maybe this wasn't such a great idea afterall. Training through an AZ summer definitely will present some problems. I decided I better re-address that on another day when my brain wasn't suffering from heat exhaustion.

No comments: