Friday, June 13, 2008

So, how this all started...

It was just over 2 weeks ago and I can't even remember how it "started." I guess it's hard to pinpoint because the thought of "something like this" had been brewing for a long time. I just never set about actually setting a date. The timing just never seemed right. Maybe it was that Frontline program and my subsequent obsession with Everest. Maybe it was my desire to inject some energy into my life. Maybe it was the feeling that I could be living "better"...making myself into something more than I was at present. Whatever it was, the seed was planted. I needed a goal. And I needed it to excite me and "make my blood flow."

I knew Melissa was running a half marathon in October. That was a good option. But wouldn't really require 100% commitment. I figured I could probably finish that (maybe not gracefully) without much effort. A couple of weeks running would probably do the trick. The next obvious step was a marathon. Finding a good fit, becomes more difficult then you would think. I preferred not to run on Sunday. Not that this was an absolute deal breaker. I mean let's be honest...there are probably a lot more pressing things that are keeping me away from exaltation than a run on Sunday. At the same time, this was all about elevation right? So if I could avoid running on the Sabbath...

I also knew my limitations. And most of those had to do with time. I had a window. Probably around 4-5 months, and then Lora would be crawling. For me, that is the most demanding stage (so far) of parenthood...the span from 7-18 months. It seems like constant supervision. Just making sure nothing goes into the mouth that shouldn't seems like a full time job. Not to mention trying to prevent a fall down the stairs, into a pool, or a run in with a piece of furniture. Finding a mere 5 minutes to yourself seems like an Olympic feat. Right now Lora is immobile. Make sure she is fed, burped, and changed; stick her in a swing or a jumper in the room where you are, and you are golden.

Well, at least for 15 minutes.

Aside from that, I wasn't going to get any younger, in any better shape, and my life any simpler. Kent said it perfectly when I approached him about the idea. "Well, I guess there isn't going to be a better time, is there? I guess now is as good of a time as any." EXACTLY! (Oh, how I love that man.)

So here was my criteria... Something challenging, in about 4 months, close to home (I mean with gas over $4/gallon with no end it sight, I just might have to run to the starting line), and on a Saturday. Doesn't leave many options.

I found a 50K in Scottsdale at the beginning of November. But had no idea exactly what a 50K entailed? Come to find out, most were over 31 mile "trail runs" done over varied terrain. Now we are talking! However, a further look into the Scottsdale run sounded like my idea of hell. It was 31.25 miles, run in 3 mile loops on mostly sidewalk! It was also aptly named The Mad Dog 50K. Only someone bitten by a mad, rabies invested dog would want to run 10, 5K circles, on pavement. It made me think that maybe it was an extension of Michael's Rabies Awareness Fun Run. And that all of the participants would be wearing these bracelets.


Might be entertaining to go watch.

I was however, SOLD on the idea of a 50k and found Noble Canyon located in Pine Valley, CA., less than 5 hours away. A vision was born.

4 comments:

Lori said...

Running on sidewalk, in Scottsdale just does not sound good. Training in Arizona during the summer doesn't sound good either, but maybe you and Melissa will have an advantage that the other runners, who by the way are mostly from California, won't have and that is that you will have trained in Hell . . . oops I mean Arizona heat. I'm excited for you - love ya

Anonymous said...

yay for the run for rabies! good job this morning...you pushed me!

Teagan said...

you go girl... I am so jealous of you. I can't even make it to the gym... I need help with my self motivating skills. I am so proud.
are you training outside or that the gym?

Kristen said...

I love how you brought The Office in on it!